Monday, August 07, 2006

360

I'm home now, and exhausted, and glad to be in my own bed, and dreading going back to work tomorrow. But the weekend was fun, and relaxing and for the first time in months I was actually able to sleep without laying awake worrying about a certain situation which has been really impeding my ability to fall asleep without being really upset.

I always get home feeling like I absolutely hate flying. For some odd reason, the trips home are always awful. For whatever reason, I ended up really sick to my stomach this time around. Thankfully, the airline sickness bag wasn't needed, but that's not to say that I didn't think about it at one point as we were flipping and flopping around in the air above the Flint airport.

Both flights were full and the first one featured a bunch of kids flying with their mother who felt it was alright to sit at the back of the plane with her two "under-10" kids sitting several rows ahead of her. These two were a little rude, slightly obnoxious and just plain annoying. The one left their cup full of ice in the middle of the aisle on our very small commuter plane. I finally picked it up and put it in the garbage for them. Although I have to say my personal favourite was the argument they had with another sibling sitting several rows back about listening to a song on a Playstation the one had. Some people's children...

I was worried about coming across the border since I had such a hard time with the guy at U.S. Customs on the way over. But this time I had no worries, the female Canada Customs agent was very pleasant and actually joked with me about the heat in Dallas. Apparently it was a really nice weekend here, the rain storm on Thursday pushed out the major heat wave we had been having up until my departure.

Spending time with Jen (and the rest of the girls) was really great. The last few months I've been finding very hard with no girlfriends in town. Spending a weekend with one of my best girlfriends was a welcome break from the monotony. Not that I don't enjoy the company of my aunts and my cousin, just that it's not the same as having a girlfriend you can complain to, snark with, laugh with, and just spend time with each other doing nothing--something we always end up doing together. I'm hoping that Jen had as much fun as I did this weekend and that I didn't totally annoy her with my little eccentricities.

So now I'm unpacked, sorted, have stashed my purchases in the basement to be organized next weekend and will welcome a nice shower and possibly a few more chapters in "The Devil Wears Prada" which I picked up in the airport bookstore and have been devilishly devouring since I sat down in DFW.

Speaking of which, I finished "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" which was an easy read and may not really be as intellectually stimulating as one might expect, but it was still a nice little read on the way down. I've gotten halfway through "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" but figured I was too tired to sit and think through it on the flights home.

No comments: