Monday, April 23, 2007

Postcards from the edge

A lot has been going on in the last week and this weekend was kind of nice to just sit back and enjoy some time with my sister and my nieces. For starters, I came down with this horrible cold last Sunday that really kicked me on my ass. Added to that, my laptop was stolen off my desk at work and that involved a pile of paperwork, briefings, memos, phone calls and other stuff. It continued on into Friday when I had to answer a bunch more questions.

Needless to say, getting up to London was a nice break and one that I was really in need of.

I have to say though, as my nieces get older, they get funnier. I swear, their personalities change about as much as they grow. It's like they're new people every time I'm there. When I picked them up from school on Friday they were so excited to see me. Friday night, after they had gone to bed, I was rummaging through my suitcase looking for my pyjamas when I heard rumbling little foot steps, and then a huge smack hit me in the derriere. And then rumbling footsteps back into the other room followed by uproarious giggles from the two of them: what did you do? I hit her big butt. What did she say? She said "OW"! On Sunday we went to sell Girl Guide cookies at the truck stop and while the younger one was all "I'm tired, I don't want to sell these..." she would turn around on a dime and do the whole "would you like to buy some girl guide cookies?" on a moments notice when a potential sucker....er....customer would come by.

Last night was the kicker though. The two of them climbed into my car as I was leaving and sat one on top of the other and chanted "we're going to Windsor" over and over again. They wouldn't let me leave. And then when they finally did get out and I got in the driver's seat, the younger one climbed on my lap and begged me to stay. After convincing them that the presents and treats would stop should I lose my job for not going home, they let me leave--reluctantly.

It's getting harder and harder to leave them!

No comments: