Saturday, May 02, 2009

Thoughts

I travelled up to Toronto this week for a conference and the day I went up was one of those grey overcast days where there are mists on the fields and coming off the water (the train travels along beside Lake St. Clair for a bit...) and it's one of those days I LOVE. I don't know what it is about those scenes but they just make me feel really thoughtful, creative, and full of words that I want to spill on paper.

As is always the case, I end up on the train with students (this time I sat beside a Chiropractic student who made me laugh for most of the 4 hours) and that also gets me thinking.

I always say I don't have regrets...I don't...but there are moments I wish I could go back to different times in my life and say things to my old self. Things that might have made me feel better. So if I could...here are some of the things I would say...

Kids are dumb and they do dumb things, you can't make them like you, and them not liking you doesn't make you a bad person.
No, he is not the only man you're going to love.
Yes, you DO deserve better.
Study harder, take that class and work for it. Because it's worth it.
Respecting an elder does not mean always agreeing with them, but you shouldn't always say that out loud.
Please don't say that.
Please don't say that ever.
Please stop saying that.
Don't be afraid to be who you really are. Because those kids won't be your friends no matter who you act like/talk like/follow.
He/She is going to be a lifelong good friend...be good to them.
Go, live, experience. It will all be here when you're finished.
Get it out of your system now and you'll thank me later.
You really shouldn't buy that.
Listen to your heart. Sometimes it's right.
Believe in yourself.
Don't waste your energy being nervous over someone who isn't worth being nervous over.
Stop worrying so much.
Life is too short to spend it trying to be something you're not.
Laugh as hard as you can as much as you can.
Don't be afraid to try.

No comments: