Saturday, May 23, 2009

Change

Yesterday I said goodbye to our temporary manager.

I'm not really one of those people who handles change all that well. It's actually kind of funny considering I'm the middle child of five. Being in a family of that many you learn many things like patience, tolerance, fairness, and the other hard lessons of life. Which sounds funny but it's true. You learn to adapt and that you don't always get your own way.

Which goes back to me not liking change. In this job, I've learned a lot and have had a great deal of change going on. When I took it, the biggest difficulty was being so far from my family. My sisters were at least two hours away (one was four) and I just felt like I was so far from everyone that knew me. Adapting to that was difficult.

Thankfully I worked with a fantastic woman who I leaned on as a friend and we suffered through and survived. I dubbed us soldiers in the trenches. This job was that kind of job. Always a battle, always some hurdle to get past, always some sort of unique challenge to overcome. When you live in that situation you learn to adapt, to tolerate, to get through.

In a small office, you bond, you get close and you tend to survive things together. Which is why it was somewhat hard to say goodbye to our temporary manager yesterday. She was a great mentor, a great sounding board, a fantastic friend. When you work with a tyrant, it's not difficult to let them go, but when you work with someone who believes in you and treats you with this level of respect, it's sad to see them go.

As happy as I am to have my friend back on Monday from her maternity leave, it's still going to be odd to not see our other manager every day. It's like losing a daily friend. And for us, this will be a unique change. So you can imagine my little bit of sadness when I locked the door behind her yesterday.

Change is good in some instances, but sometimes it's kind of sad.

No comments: