Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hello 33!

The past week I've been saying that I was turning another age than 33 today. I was going to be 29, 25, 28 or 19 (who was I kidding???). But then this morning as I was driving in to work I realized I don't want to be any age than what I am.

I thought about every single good age I could think about and at each and every age something was going on. Something that caused some kind of drama or strife or complication. Each year seemed to have something that wasn't ideal.

Which is why I want to be 33. I think about it this way...my life is pretty much on track. I'm my own person. I make my own decisions (sometimes with influence...). I make good money, I have a great job that I love and I have great friends and family around me to keep me grounded. I'm finally in a place financially that I like and I'm ready for the next step. I can stand up for myself. I can defend my actions. I'm not afraid to be who I am. And I have the freedom to choose.

I also realize that I wouldn't be the person that I am today if I hadn't had the strife and drama that I had. I wouldn't have learned the lessons that I learned. And I wouldn't have become the person I am without the steps I had to go through before. Each one of those years contributed to the experiences that made me who I am. Which is why I'm ok with being another year older, another year wiser and another year me.

I wouldn't trade any one of the 33 years that I've had to be one year younger or one decade younger. Unless I could be the person I am today back then. But then maybe I would have done things differently and things wouldn't be the way they are today.

If only it was this easy to reach this conclusion when the grey hairs pop up in the mirror in the morning....

No comments: