Saturday, September 27, 2008

This way or that way

Yesterday, at the office, one of my female coworkers brought me this brochure and invited me on a trip with her and a few other people I know. She said "it's a really good opportunity, you should come with us".

Now I know what you're thinking...cult! But it wasn't.

It's an 8 day fabric market tour of Beijing. All inclusive, the total cost includes your flight, accomodations, food, and transportation to all these fabric markets and various other tourist areas of Beijing. Total cost with taxes and fees: $3500.

I kind of went "yelp" at that point. That's a lot of money. She tried to sell me on the whole "well it's all paid for and look at what you get" which was totally worth it.

My problem is this, I just paid about $4000 for tuition and books. Added to that I have to save for a down payment on a car I'm getting in a few weeks and I know I'm going to have another $300-500 for books in January. I'm also trying to save for a house should I be in a different living situation (read: new city) in six months to a year. So you can imagine why I'm on the fence about this one.

I really want to go. But I know that even if I did suck it up and spend the money, it's not just the $3500. I am a total sucker for pretty things so I know I would be buying fabric and purses and clothes and other cute stuff. Then I'd also buy souveniers etc. And then I'd come back and have to buy scrapbook supplies to actually scrapbook the whole tour and we're looking at about $6000 to $8000.

Once a lifetime sure...then there's the lifetime to pay it off that's left!

No comments: