Monday, November 12, 2007

My favourite things

I love spending time with my nieces. Not for the tantrums mind you (several this weekend) but for the funny things they say. Sometimes I wish I could be inside their heads so I can actually hear what they're thinking when they come up with this stuff. A few samples...

Friday night at dinner, the five of us were sitting at the table (sister, brother in law, girls and I) and the oldest pipes up "Mom, I don't want you to get married again because I don't want to have two dads." No idea where this came from, my sister and her husband have no plans to divorce or remarry. My younger niece pipes up "that's ok, you'll be my favourite" to my brother in law.

Yesterday in the car my younger niece asks me "how did Hilary Duff get famous?" I try to explain to her that she was on a television show that thousands of kids watched. My older niece says "well I've been on the news a few times". I can see in the mirror my younger niece think about this and then say "ya but you're not famous so that's not how it happened." I then proceeded to explain, with great difficulty, the Disney marketing machine and how it pumps out stars. I still don't think she got it.

Then while we were in Canadian Tire she tells me she wants to go look at the Christmas trees. They had all their trees displayed in a forest type of setting so you walk under an arbour and peruse the trees. She holds my hand and stops. Above us is mistletoe. Which she loves because of the idea you have to kiss someone under it. So I give her a big fat peck on the cheek. Then we walk through and her sister ends up under it, then proceeds to jump back because she doesn't want to kiss her. I took the honours. She says to me "I wish it was Christmas all year long so we had to give each other kisses under the mistletoe."

(Note, that sounds kind of creepy but in fact it was pretty cute.)

Then, during the Bee Movie, she shouts out "Sting him again!" yes this is my lovey little niece.

Definitely enjoy spending time with these two.

No comments: