Saturday, May 03, 2008

Waking when it's over

Last weekend my body must have known what was going to happen this week. It must have said to itself, this week is going to be tough, so lets get as much sleep as possible.

You see, I had big plans last weekend to get a whole lot of stuff done. I wanted to clean up my little "studio" area in the basement, I wanted to clean out my closet, I wanted to go shopping, I wanted to do a lot of stuff. Instead, I slept until about 10 each morning (well, I got up to let the dog out at 7 both mornings and then went to bed) and then went back to bed for a nap in the afternoon. I didn't get my stuff cleaned up. I didn't go shopping. I did get my closet cleaned out, but there wasn't much to do.

Then Monday came. We had a really big day at work on Thursday. Like national news kind of day. Well, actually, it was a national news day. So that meant I was at work until after midnight on Tuesday. At work until after nine on Wednesday and at work until after six on Thursday. And being at work that late doesn't mean I go home and sleep. Nope, it means I go home and lay awake thinking "did I change the font on that one fact sheet"? "Did I make sure I included all of the other edits?" "What if there are changes?" "Did the whole thing line up?" Or on Wednesday night I think about getting to the venue on time, what I should bring with me, what did I leave at the office, should I email my boss at 3 a.m., does she have her blackberry with her in her bedroom so it will wake her up when she's eight months pregnant?

The day went really well on Thursday and lots of really important people were quite pleased with us. And when I got home on Thursday, I was going to take a nap before Grey's and Lost but ended up not able to sleep AGAIN. After Lost, I knew it would be a struggle again so I took something. The six hours of sleep was much nicer than the four or three I had gotten the rest of the week.

But of course, this fatigue hit me yesterday when I had big plans to take the afternoon off and do something fun. That something fun was getting lost in Kent County. I decided to stop at this neat stamping store in Chatham on my way up to London. They gave me directions to Future Shop and then to the highway. Stupid me, thinking if I just followed the county roads east, I would reconnect with the highway without having to go backwards. Yup, you guessed it. I ended up going north west and spent about an hour travelling in a big huge circle. No, I don't have a map or GPS and I'm wondering why...

I finally got here around 3:25. Too late to pick the girls up at school which they love but early enough to get them from the bus which I love. My sister and I had a nice evening together and today we're going to celebrate National Scrapbook Day at Michaels. Big fun. I had an excellent night of sleep last night for the first time in a week or so and I'm really looking forward to just enjoying my weekend and doing fun stuff. Glad that the mess is over but sure it will all start up again soon.

Maybe I should buy a map or something this weekend...

No comments: